Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011: My Lord and My Husband

Thanksgiving is coming!  I cannot believe this is November already.  Seriously I wonder how times feels like it goes by so fast sometimes.  I decided that instead of getting crazed by the busyness that can overwhelm so many of us during this season of holidays leading up to Christmas, I want to focus on being thankful.  Being thankful is a chioce.  There are many things that can lead to despair if we focus on them, but focusing on thankfulness helps us to navigate through the other stuff more easily and with a more cheerful disposition.  I am asking the LORD to help me be cheerful and thankful instead of run-down, overwhelmed, or stuck in disappointment. 

What a good time to focus on this and share with others - Thanksgiving!

So, every other day I will write about two more reasons I am thankful.  I hope you will be encouraged and even inspired to write down what makes you thankful and thank the LORD for the blessings He has given you, as well.  This is of course not an exhaustive list.  I only have twenty-four days in November, including Thanksgiving, so there will be twenty-four reasons to be thankful that I will share with you.

Day 1: My Lord

I write a lot about Jesus on here, so you probably would expect I would be thankful for Him.  I am not listing Him first to sound like a good Christian.  I am listing Him first on this list because really I recognize that everything I have is from Him.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." (James 1:17)

I started following Him (calling on Him as my Lord and surrendering to Him as my Master) almost fifteen years ago.  It's hard to believe it has been that long.  Before that I thought I was already a Christian.  I celebrated Christmas and Easter, and my parents taught me a lot of moral truths that are found in the Bible.  However I didn't realize that being a Christian was not just about knowing about Jesus and believing in Him. 

"You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that--and shudder." (James 2:19)

It was about calling on Him, asking Him to forgive me for my sins, and deciding that He would be the Lord of my life from then on.

"That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.  For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved." (Romans 10:9, 10)

As time passed since that moment, and I continued to learn more and fall in love more with Him, I came to recognize my daily need for His guidance, love, direction, forgiveness, wisdom, etc.  I am so thankful because He has never failed to meet one of these needs. 

He has never failed to show Himself when I called and waited on Him to answer.  He doesn't always answer in the way I expect, and sometimes I have to realize that what I am asking for is actually not what is best.  Thankfully He shows me this with such grace and mercy.  If I listen, then much trouble is avoided.  If I decide to go with my own way anyway, there is sure to be at least some difficulty.  He always takes me back, though, even after I have disobeyed and returned to Him with my head down and shoulders slouched because of regret and remorse.

I am thankful that nothing I can do - whether good or bad - can change His love for me.  I am sealed with Him, and I will forever be (see John 10:29).  There is so much more to share.  I am so thankful.

Day 2: My husband 

One of those good and perfect gifts the LORD has given me is my husband.  It's not that he is perfect, and I couldn't expect him to be, but he is so wonderful!  I have written an ode to him before, and I am truly so thankful for him. 

We met back in college, actually before I transfered to the school where he was about to finish his undergrad.  I said to the LORD, "God, I want to marry a guy like that."  I didn't actually think I would ever see him again.  He was graduating.  Well I didn't know that he was going to be there for another three years working on his graduate degree.  We ran into each other again months later, and I still didn't really think much about it.  I learned he had a girlfriend, and I honestly didn't think he would ever be interested in me. 

Thankfully God had other plans.  Later that year he did become interested in me (he and his girlfriend had broken up months earlier), and I became very much interested in him.  It's a long a beautiful story.  I still say I "married up."

Now over eight years later I feel more in love with him as time passes.  We have had disagreements, times of lackluster, and even annoy each other from time to time.  However, he is my best friend and more than I could have thought to ask for in a husband and father of my children.  And he loves me, too!

He is such a great daddy, too!  Our children adore him, and for good reason.  I am always amazed and thankful for his growing relationship with them, his desire to seize teachable moments for God's glory, and his tender love for them.  I am thankful to be on the same page with him, as well, when it comes to raising and training up our children.  We are partners in this.

I tell you, I got a package deal with him.  I am oh so thankful!  The LORD knows I need him.  He has balanced me out in so many areas that balance was greatly needed.  Sure, the LORD has used me to balance him out, too. 

I love my husband and thank our Lord for him!

What are you thankful for today?

2 comments:

Brandy Vencel said...

I'm thankful for your husband, too, because that means *we* get to be family! :)

Kristen @ Dem Golden Apples said...

I agree, Brandy! That is another reason to be thankful. :) Love you!