Thursday, November 10, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011: Good Ideas and Creativity

Day 9: Good Ideas

Isn't it fun to have a good idea?  That moment when you suddenly think of something that seems like a really great idea is so thrilling.  I find it appropriate that that moment is often signified by a lightbulb being turned on.  I love good ideas.

When an idea comes, I must first evaluate it before acting on it.  Is it a good idea?  Does it fall in line with truth?  Would it bring good to others and glorify God?  These questions needed to be answered to help me know if the idea is a good one or not a good one.  Of course the more significant the idea the more evaluation and prayer is needed.  Not much evaluation and prayer is needed for a great idea of what to make for dinner tonight, but I love when I get one of those!  Sometimes the idea for dinner is indeed an answer to prayer, as small as it is.

One lesson I have been learning over the last year or so is that when I get an idea, I need to prayerfully consider it, ask the LORD for guidance on the first/next step, and then once I hear back from Him I need to do what He says.  Think of all of the great ideas that have come and gone through your mind, but you never did anything about it.  Then you see the idea you had in a store.  Someone else had that idea, but they did something about it.  What do you say then?  "Why didn't I do that!?"  Right?

It seems that often (not always) the difference between those of us who have an idea that never comes to realization and those who are currently marketing their idea is the fact that they did something about that idea!  Really good ideas take time, energy, work, money usually, and perseverance.  However, wouldn't it feel great to stand before your finished product and be thankful that you did it?

God takes care of the results, but what is my part?  What is He asking me to do?  What ideas has He given me to develop and shape into something that could be wonderful?

The ideas I am currently working on range from large to small.

Large ones include a few books I am working on and praying about publishing.  I have three that I am actively writing, but there are a couple of others being kicked around between my ears, as well.  I want to be diligent and responsible with these ideas and be wise with them.  I want to carry them out with excellence in His way, His timing, and for His glory and the furthering of His Kingdom.  If I produce a product, even if it looks great, but it is done in my own strength and for my own glory may it never succeed.  May I only succeed when I pursue His goals for the ideas He has placed in my mind. 

Medium-sized ideas right now include what to give to my friends and family for Christmas.  I love thinking and praying about what to give at Christmas.  It is such a fun opportunity to give to others, and I really don't get that opportunity much throughout the rest of the year - at least on such a large scale.  I get so excited when I get a really good idea for a gift for someone, especially when it is someone I was having trouble coming up with a gift idea for. 

Small ideas that are still very important have been helping me even in the last couple of days.  I am so thankful that the LORD has given me good ideas for daily life and routine with my home life, husband, children, and work.  It has been wonderfully refreshing to receive these ideas, especially when I really was needing some guidance.

I love good ideas, and I thank the LORD for them!

Day 10: Creativity 

Along the same line of being thankful for good ideas, I am so thankful for creativity!  I love creativity!  I so enjoy the creativity of others.  I love being able to enjoy someone's creative expressions through visual arts, performing arts, music, dance, architecture, writing, cooking, baking, photography, etc.  What would we do without creativity?  What would our world be like?

Without creativity, life would be pretty bland.

I also am thankful for times when I get to be creative.  I love making things and doing something creative.  It's refreshing to me, and it really is a large part of who I am.  God made me this way. 

As far back as I remember, I have always loved being creative.  My brother and I used to draw and write comic books, magazines, whole story lines, and much more.  We would also record songs and "live shows" that we made up on endless hours of tapes.  When my little sister grew old enough, she joined us in these endeavors.  It was a lot of fun, and now we have those as great memories and really funny tapes. 

My cousins and I also used to make up games and play them for hours.  We did this so often that when I became a camp counselor years later no one knew the games I was talking about.  I realized then that we must have made up more of them then I remembered.

I enjoy the creativity of others, I enjoy the creativity the LORD has given me, and I enjoy the creativity of the Creator Himself.  How can I marvel at human creativity without realizing from whom it first came?  Look at the trees, flowers, people!  Think of how many types of bananas there are, the many species of fish in the ocean and then the many species of fish in lakes, rivers, and other fresh water sources!  Isn't it amazing that instead of just giving us one or two kinds of trees, one or two kinds of food, one or two types of people He gave us the incredibly vast variety He has? 

What creativity it took to create everything we see.  Even the buidlings around us were inspired by the LORD's creativity, whether the men and women building them realize that or not.  God is the ultimate when it comes to creativity, and I am so thankful!  What excitement, variety, pleasure that brings to life!

He not only creates, but He also re-creates.  He makes new the old and breathes life into what was once dead.  He re-created me when I turned to Him.  He made me a new creation.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" (2 Corinthians 5:17)

I praise the LORD for creativity.  It was a good idea, to say the least!

No comments: