Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Ode to My Husband and Children

This weekend I was reminded for the seven thousandth time, give or take, of how thankful I am for my husband and children.  In a society where there is much mockery and devaluing of men and of children, I want to take some time to counter that with some truth.

"He who fears the LORD has a secure fortress, and for his children it will be a refuge." (Proverbs 14:26)

"But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him." (Jeremiah 17:7)

I am so blessed because my husband trusts in the LORD!  He is a pillar of strength like Boaz, and I am so thankful.  Though he is not perfect, and I don't expect him to be, he is everything I could have hoped and prayed for in a husband.  We do not always agree, but we do usually see things the same way and walk hand-in-hand through life's pastures.  I couldn't imagine a better partner. 

I love how kind he is to others.  He is gentle, but strong.  He is humble, but confident.  His humor is many times dry and sometimes corny, but he very often makes me laugh.  A lot.  We have a lot of fun together, and we also enjoy serious and thought provoking discussions.  I really love him and like him.

My husband is very good at the job God has placed him in, but he is even better at being a great daddy.  My children are so blessed not only with a daddy who loves God and loves their mommy, but also with a daddy who loves them and takes care of them just as much as I do.  I am so blessed with an actively involved daddy for my children.  We are on the same page with parenting, which takes communication and prayer together, and this is a huge blessing for which I am very thankful.

And for my children.  I adore them tremendously, as well.

"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one’s youth.  Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them." (Psalm 127:3-5a)

Children are a blessing.  They are a blessing to be cherished and taken care of diligently.  They are not a financial burden or just another mouth to feed.  They are a precious gift from the LORD!  I am thankful for the blessing of my children.  I know intentional parenting can get exhausting, but it is worth every once of effort.  Furthermore, intentional parenting is my responsibility.  It's not fair if I just get through these first 18 years and then send them out into the world to make it on their own without the proper training and love.

I actually really enjoy my children.  I like bringing them with me places and spending time with them at home.  It's not always easy, but it is always rewarding.  I like to think they enjoy being around me, as well.  I hope we have even more children if the LORD so chooses to bless us more.

My older child is spunky, yet very sweet.  She is learning to do what is right and realizes that she needs the wisdom of the Scriptures to help her.  She does disobey quite a bit right now, but she also responds well to discipline realizing that she has a lot to learn and that we desire to teach her and love her along the way.  She has such a great memory and can learn a song after only two or three times of hearing it.  She also loves to dance and to sing.  Dressing like Snow White she dances around the living room to whatever music we have playing.  I love her. 

I love her desire to learn, evidenced by a million questions.  I can tell she thinks a lot and wonders about the way the world works.  She prays so openly and honestly.  She also loves to be silly.  As she grows, we pray that she will become the woman God wants her to be and that she will fulfill His purposes for her for His glory to bless others and share His truth with those around her and beyond.  It will be fun to see what that will look like.  I love to walk with her holding her soft hand in mine while she jumps along and laughs.  Plus it is kind of fun that she is the spitting image of me, minus the hair color and toes which are from her daddy.  Her smile is contagious.

My little one is most often very mellow, but she does have a temper.  She was born strong physically, and has also shown us that she is smart like her sister.  She is a little cuddler who loves to hug anyone and anything around her, but mostly her mommy.  I love hugging her, too.  She is such a sweet little loving girl whom I love dearly. 

It's so fun to watch her watch her sister and others around her.  She loves to watch and learn, and now she is trying to communicate more verbally.  As an early walker she quickly became a busy-body, and she gets into everything.  However, she is also pretty obedient thus far.  She doesn't always like the word, "No," but she does usually comply.  We're not sure, yet, who she looks like in the family, but she is beautiful.  Both of my girls are so beautiful.  This one might just become a redhead, too, which would thrill me!  I love when she smiles and when she laughs.  We pray for her to accept the Lord as her Savior one day as her sister has, and that she too will become a mighty woman of God.

As I boast about my husband and children, I boast in the LORD because it is He who has blessed me with more than I deserve.  I am thankful, and I desire to be the best wife and mother I can with His help and grace.  Thank you, Father God for blessing me with such a wonderful husband and dear children.  I love them, and I am blessed.  I wanted to build them up through this ode today. 

Who are you thankful for today?

"So then we pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another." (Romans 14:19)


No comments: